Thursday, April 29, 2010

Frost Warning


We've talked before about how crazy NC weather can be.  Well last night I had to prepare the garden for possible frost.  It is a little late in the season for frost in these parts but the temperatures dipped into the low 30's last night.  I debated all afternoon what to do about the garden and decided it would be better to be safe than sorry.  So I spent time covering every plant and seedling in the garden, just in case.

Here are some of the tomatoes covered with newspaper tents.

See the baby tomato underneath it's protective tent.
  
 Here are some newly sprouted cucumbers protected under bed sheets. 

I was prepared so of course we didn't get frost.  I'm not complaining.  Okay  - I did complain this morning when I had to clean all of this stuff up at 6:00AM and get to work.  Never mind that once I had it all collected and my arms were full of sheets and wet newspaper I FELL.  Yep, I tripped on the way out of the garden (in my work clothes) and did a face plant right into the wet sheets.  I didn't get hurt physically but my pride was bruised a little.  It wasn't funny until later today when I replayed the scene in my head and realized while laying on the ground I looked around to see if any of the neighbors witnessed anything. 

I've always heard it's good to laugh at yourself.

1 comment:

  1. :) I think it's inteligent to laugh at ourselves! especially when the neighbors are not around ;)
    I wish I had a garden like yours!

    ReplyDelete